DELIVERING ON THE PROMISE OF OLIVE OIL
Heart health and more from an ingredient that consumers will love
- Sustainable, 100% natural extract of olive fruits
- Standardized hydroxytyrosol content (10% & 25%)
- Liquid, powder and micronized powder product forms
- Processing-friendly. Stable at high temperatures
- Little to no impact on organoleptic properties
- Effective as a co-ingredient in Omega-3 formulations
Hydroxytyrosol: key to important health & formulation benefits
The primary active component of Hytolive - hydroxytyrosol - is a polar, phenolic phytochemical found in olive fruit, olive leaf and olive oil as well as by-products of olive processing. Along with tyrosol and their conjugates, it represents the main phenolic compounds in olive oil (50%). Hydroxytyrosol has a simple structure, the highest bioavailability and ORAC of the olive oil components, which gives it potent natural antioxidant activity.
Hytolive in Heart Health Formulations
Numerous scientific studies have been conducted on the antioxidant properties and cardiovascular health supporting potential of olive oil and olive polyphenols. What’s more, Hytolive is a sustainable, regulatory-friendly ingredient that people can enthusiastically support.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) approved cardiovascular health claim for hydroxytyrosol and its derivatives (2011)*
Potential label statements in USA:
- “Supports heart health” claim
- “Supports vascular health” claim
Hytolive in Omega-3 Formulations
A high antioxidant capacity and consumer awareness of the health benefits of olive oil compounds make Hytolive an ideal co-ingredient in Omega-3 formulations – particularly those that contain fish oil. A 2012 survey conducted by market researcher TNS found 73% of Spanish consumers would be willing to pay more for an Omega-3 formulation that contained hydroxytyrosol.
- Omega-3s and hydroxytyrosol have different mechanisms of supporting heart health
- Fish oil & olive oil represent two of the main foods in the Mediterranean Diet
- The antioxidant properties of hydroxytyrosol can protect fish oil and Omega-3s from oxidation
Formulating Foods with Hytolive
Hytolive Olive Fruit Polyphenol comes in a variety of product forms make it easy to incorporate in existing processing environments. Low addition levels (100 mg 10% powder) mean low impact on organoleptic properties of food systems – with excellent stability in processing. It’s a clean label ingredient with good economics in food formulations.
- 70% of consumers are using olive oil – including 86% in sauté & frying (Olive Center, 2013)
- 80% of consumers choosing olive oil as healthier alternative to other oils & fats (Olive Center, 2013)
- Health-promoting monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) have become a mass market opportunity for product developers (Sloan, 2011c)
*EFSA claim not available for use in the United States