BETTER BLOOD SUGAR MANAGEMENT FOR EVERYONE
A cost-effective, easy-to-incorporate ingredient that can lower the glycemic index of foods & beverages – supporting blood sugar management claims
Benecarb Glycemic Balance Complex is a 100% natural, patented ingredient that can reduce the glycemic impact of a broad range of everyday foods and beverages – particularly those that are rich in carbohydrates. High in natural antioxidants, polyphenols and minerals, Benecarb has been shown to reduce the glycemic of index (GI) of foods and beverages by up to 20% using addition levels of 4-6% of total carbohydrate content. These low use levels result in a low impact on the organoleptic properties of food and beverage formulations and contribute to cost-effectiveness in use.
- Patented ingredient based on molasses phytonutrients
- High in natural antioxidants, polyphenols & minerals
- Glycemic Index reduction of up to 20%
- Typical addition levels: 4-6% of carb content
- Little to no impact on organoleptic properties
- Clean, consumer-friendly labeling
Everyone cares about blood sugar management!
The term glycemic index is beginning to become known by consumers. But people implicitly understand blood sugar management and how it can benefit their lives. A recent consumer survey showed that one-third of consumers would like more ingredients to help balance blood sugar. This is linked to issues such as long-term sustainable energy, weight control and the overall desire to live a healthier life. Benecarb Glycemic Balance Complex allows food and beverage companies to develop products that can address the lifestyle and health concerns of a broad range of consumers via blood sugar management.
Benecarb makes it easy to create new products
Most ingredient solutions that try to address blood sugar management involve removing carbohydrates and require substantial reformulation – often with results that impact taste and texture. Using other ingredients, the amount of addition required for effectiveness/functionality/benefit makes them cost prohibitive. With Benecarb, product developers can simply add the ingredient to existing formulations – with little modification – to achieve significant improvements in GI.
Benecarb is a win-win for product developers. What consumer wouldn’t choose a product that costs the same, offers the same look, taste and experience – but has better blood sugar impact?
- The combination of nutritional benefits, indulgence, and culinary/gourmet excitement is the key to consumers' decisions to try new healthy food products (IRI, 2014).
- One-third of consumers would like more ingredients to help balance blood sugar (Molyneaux, 2012).
- Weight management is the driving force for recent interest in blood sugar control (Sloan, 2014).
- Curbing cravings and the sustainable energy achieved through blood sugar control are also of benefit to dieters.
Clinically-studied GI reduction
A series of studies featuring seven everyday carbohydrate-rich foods was conducted to measure Benecarb’s role in reducing glycemic index. Benecarb addition relative to carbohydrate content was correlated to GI reduction. The studies showed that Benecarb reduced GI in all seven applications – by 8% to 20%. The percentage of GI reduction was shown to be dose-dependent and directly proportional to the amount of Benecarb added as a percentage of available carbohydrate. Equally as important, it was also shown that Benecarb reduced postprandial glucose and insulin response.
Figure 1: Effect of Benecarb on GI in foods